Sunday, March 6, 2011

Thing-a-week: Sleepy Sunday edition

Ah, March. It's in like a lion and out like a lamb (hopefully). Winter's final hurrah. While we have yet to see any sign of spring, this week I thought a lot about my summer plans, including several writing conferences I hope to check out and Whyte Avenue Art Walk in July. This time around, I'll be exhibiting at McIntyre Park with members of Night of Artists. As a result, I was lucky to dodge registration day on Saturday, which often means hours spent in line (as my blog buddy Mike Kendrick can attest to, unfortunately). However, it's well worth it. As art events go, the exposure's amazing, the fees are reasonable, and it's a helluva lot of fun to paint outside in the sunshine!

Anyway! This week's Thing-a-Week isn't a painting -- it's a digital illustration I completed for the Ubyssey (UBC's student newspaper). The story it accompanies is about scholarship funding.

I'm slowly getting the hang of drawing entirely in Photoshop. It's a lot of fun, but challenging with my tiny 4x6 Wacom Graphire tablet. I'm really hoping to invest in a large Intuos 4 in the near future...it's a thing of beauty, truly.

Make sure to check out Mike Kendrick's Thing-a-Week too! This week, he cracked out the acrylics, rendering a frighteningly rad T-Rex. I'm looking forward to the next in the series...crossing my fingers for a tricerotops in high-tops!    

No comments:

Post a Comment