Thursday, March 3, 2011

Coming to a billboard near you!



So, it's official: I snagged a spot in the Artuponrequest.ca competition! Very exciting. I was one of three winners, including my friend Karen Bishop, an Edmonton watercolorist and new gallery owner (www.karenbishop.ca).

In coming weeks, my painting ("Bubbles") will appear on billboards across Alberta. So, many thousands of people will see my work!

As an emerging artist, this is a pretty big deal -- this kind of exposure is tough to find. Naturally, I can't expect everyone will like my work, but I'm hoping my image will offer a few stressed out motorists and pedestrians a moment of peace. Or, at the very least, provide some colour on dreary, winter-weary Alberta streets. March can be a really ugly month in
Alberta, thanks to the accumulation of sand and gravel on city streets, gray skies and blustery snow-filled days. And, unlike the start of winter -- when new snow has a certain amount of novelty -- we're damn sick of the white stuff by the time March rolls around.

So, a little art scattered in public places makes a lot of sense to me!

I'll post pics of the billboards when they're up. I expect it'll be pretty surreal when it happens.


Thanks again for all of your support...you made this happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment